Occasional Visitor
mxsouth

L300 stopped connecting to Vspace today randomly

We see the Vspace server in the list, but the box will not connect.  We have other Vspace servers running in our network, and we can conect to some of them, but this one and one other will not connect.  This just started today.  Any ideas anyone?

Visitor
mirah

Re: L300 stopped connecting to Vspace today randomly

I'm having the same issue with 20+ units right now. Called tech support got no where.

Contributor
Nyabicha

Try and diasable both the Windows Firewall and the antivirus firewall...

Actually for troubleshooting purposes, disable the antivirus completely and gradually identify the components that are intrefering with VSpace

James,
Virtualization Consultant,
Frequent Contributor
cmclaird

Are you getting an error message when this happens? Either on the L300 or in the event logs?

Make sure you have the latest vSpace version and firmware available for your OS, you can find downloads at 

http://www.ncomputing.com/support/software-downloads

Chris McLaird | Solutions Engineer
FireFly Computers
Sales@fireflycomputers.com
866-950-8868
dbest

I ran into this very same issue late January. In my case two out of five servers stopped communicating with any L300 devices. Could not trace the issue with technical support so in the end removed vSpace and re-installed using the following from tech support.

Thank you for contacting NComputing Technical Support.

My suggestion is to perform a clean uninstall and re-install of vSpace.

STEP 1:

Uninstall  the NComputing Software.  

Through Control Panel > Programs and Features.  Then, reboot host machine

STEP 2:

Remove extra files from us in your system.

Run the uninstall script located at: http://tinyurl.com/cleanupscript

STEP 3: 

Tune Firewall and AntiVirus 

http://www.ncomputing.com/kb/Configuring-Firewall-and-Antivirus-for-NComputing-Products_63.html

STEP 4:

Download and install the latest software from our website.

http://www.ncomputing.com/support/software-downloads

STEP 5:

Register using the registration wizard that is located in the NComputing folder in All Programs

Dave

DBEST Support 

Regular Visitor
mspitze@antioch.edu

I too was having this problem and as of yet have not isolated the cause.  While the process outlined in the previous post to unistall and reinstall vspace seems to be working I can't help but wonder for how long.

I wanted to add one other detail to the record that I have yet to see anyone else report.  In my environment (L300s & Win Server 2008 R2 SP1) when the L300 stopped connecting my windows logs/application log was flooded with an entry every time the L300 refreshed and tried to connect to the host.  The error message is as follows:

"The Windows logon process has unexpectedly terminated" Event ID: 4005

Anyone else seeing these errors when the L300 stops connecting? Any indication of how permanent a fix the unistall/reinstall is?

Thanks everyone!

bt
New Contributor
bt

I can't say for sure it's the same cause, but I had the same symptoms.  None of our M300 or L300 devices would log in to 2 of our vSpace servers.  I got that same Event 4005 error message in the Windows server logs.  2008 R2 fully patched.  

I think I tried reinstalling vSpace to no avail, I don't think I uninstalled first.  I ended up refreshing the whole hard drive from a clone backup from a few months prior to get it working.

In my case, both servers stopped working right after an automatic (December 2012 Patch Tuesday) Windows Update restart.  Uninstalling the patches didn't help so I don't know if it's related at all.  After refreshing from the old clone, I was able to patch without any problems.  

Uninstalling the antivirus and disabling the firewall didn't help.

New Contributor
specialjoel

Oh thank goodness I am not the only one, support told me no one else had this issue but it seems now to look common. L300, latest vSpace Server 2008 R2 64bit is it is not "random" as i have two server and they do it in sync within a week or two of each other, so it is either time based or counter based or something. For me it cannot be updates because they servers don't auto install them, and they re-boot every night. Doing the uninstall with the extra remover script seemed to cause the problem to happen less often but still happen.

My boss has told me its my top priority so if I figure anything out I will let you guys know.

Frequent Contributor
cmclaird

Make sure you have MS licensing set up in 'Per User' mode.

Also, there are some possible fixes here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc734097(v=ws.10).aspx

Is the problem only affecting specific user accounts?

Are your hosts VMs?

Also try disabling Large Send Offload on your NIC(s), and ensure jumbo packets are disabled.

Chris McLaird | Solutions Engineer
FireFly Computers
Sales@fireflycomputers.com
866-950-8868
New Contributor
specialjoel

So in my case. Yes all hosts are vm's, ts license is set to per user, all user accounts on the machine are affected once it starts, however it does not effect rdp clients just vspace. The machines are all clones of an original machine so their could be a common error spread to all of them. Have already done a full uninstall and normal uninstalls at least 5 times on each every time it happens. There is tons of resources available as well.