Occasional Contributor
ragingangel

Local educational game and website lock down the audio after 20-30 min of use, or website crashes

We recently replaced the kindergarten computers with x550 systems in each room.

We went through their software (which to be honest was outdated) and got working what we could on the x550 systems (or so we thought).

A teacher is doing summer school for them starting this week and first thing that happened was she used

http://www.starfall.com and after 20-30 min. of use the audio quit working.  We found on this site that flash 11.3 was not compatible with vpace software we are running and to downgrade flash to 11.2.  We tried that only to find that starfall either did not recgonize the older flash and asked to install the newest one.

So the teacher tried to use some local software we have Reading Rediness.  I am not to familiar with that software, but after 20-30 min of use the audio quit working just like starfall and it does not use flash that I am aware of.

The audio on both these quit working on all stations even the host and nothing but a reboot will fix it.

I have tried downgrading flash as stated but it wanted the newest still. I have given total admin rights to user on the host.  Admin rights has not yet been confirmed or denied a fix for the sound issue.  

Now another problem we have found with starfall only on the client computers is that after you complete a course (say the alphabet courses).  Once you finish a course the browser crashes (which is IE 8), you go back into the page and that course section will cause the browser to crash everytime (reboot fixes).  This does this on every client station not the host.  We are going to try Chrome to see if that helps.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Contributor
Nyabicha

Re: Local educational game and website lock down the audio after 20-30 min of use, or website crashe

Which OS environment are you on? XP, Win Server 2008 R2, Vista, Win 7?? Which version of VSpace are you using?

If you are on Windows Server 2008 R2/ Windows7/ Multipoint Server 2011, have you tried the latest Version of VSpave - VSpace V 6.2.6??

On the issue of IE 8 crashing. I have had lots of issues with IE even on stand alone PCs, for example IE consumes a lot of RAM, etc I would also suggest that you try using Firefox...

Please answer the above so that we can try help you further...

James Nyabicha,

Opencode Systems Limited

Nairobi, Kenya

NComputing Kenya

James,
Virtualization Consultant,
Occasional Contributor
ragingangel

Re: Local educational game and website lock down the audio after 20-30 min of use, or website crashe

Windows 7 32-bit    Vspace 6.2.14

We tried Chrome and it would crash as well.  When we originally set up the computers everything worked fine we didn't try a  lot of flash because we never had any problems with a browser ever.

We have the same system at another school and it works fine.  The only thing I can think of was something got corrupted during the imaging process.

We too one back to our office and formatted it put windows 7 64-bit  and the latest vspace and so far things are working fine, but we are futher testing it

Occasional Contributor
ragingangel

UPDATE:

Put the system back into service

I asked them to try a different program rather than the one they had been trying. (the name of the program is Earobics)

After 30min of use the audio quits working on all clients and the host.  Program continues to work fine.  Exit the program and the audio is dead for all other programs and windows itself  on the host and clients.  Reboot.  Sound is back.

On another note we found that Reinassance Learning says that the browser is incompatible and flash is not installed

(IE 9 and flash 11.3).  Tried chrome on this site and starfall.  Both say flash is not installed goto adobe to download in chrome it crashes on the client computers when going to install flash, host however will install it and run Starfall runs fine but Reinassance will not.

I am at a loss totally... we are currently downgrading to windows XP with latest vspace to try that out.  If that does not work my last option will be get on my knees and apologize and ask for more computers to have 5 in each room.

Frequent Contributor
MattA

Hello, you mentioned that you were running v6.2.1.x of vSpace.  There is an update please make sure you try that first before going to XP.  You should try v6.2.6, it's available on our download site.  This update was designed to fix audio problems such as the one you're experiencing.  Additionally, in our testing we found that flash player 11.3.300.265 resolved the crashing issue introduced with flash player 11.3.300.262 so make sure you're on the absolute latest of 11.3.3.  Keep us posted.

Regards

Occasional Contributor
ragingangel

[ Edited ]

I have downloaded the 6.2.6... i have verified that.  Flash is verified latest build as well.

I thought the latest update just updated serial numbers for the newer cards according to the release notes.

Just a thought.. would drivers from the actual company/pc manufacturer be better than the windows 7 drivers it automatically installs.  (if found all drivers I had to download none)

Occasional Contributor
ragingangel

Update ----- Still no luck

here is some machine info

Lenovo M75e (5041 a3u)

4 gig of RAM

500 GB HDD

AMD Quad 2.3Ghz

10Gb virtual memory

Microsoft Security Essential

Built in Firewall

Latest Adobe

Latest Shockwave

Latest Quicktime

Latest Java

Latest Adobe Reader

All windows updates

Defragged

Latest Vspace (verified)

=============================================

On the windows 7 build: (64-bit newly formatted)

Updated sound drivers from lenovo rather than windows drivers

Updated Chipset Drivers

Updated video drivers

updated Bios

Still have the same problem.  Audio is gone after 30min of use in the following programs on all clients and host.

Starfall.com

Reading Rediness (local app)

Earobics (local app)

A to Zap (local app)

===================================================================

Pulled a computer from the same school to try and put Windows XP SP3

So far I am not impressed... I don't know what is going on with these x550 card or vspace.  We have never had issues like this before nor problems with the machine as I am having now with this XP build.

Have not tested in the classroom yet because I cant get them to function properly.  First noticeable thing is they are so SLOW on the clients... terrible slow.  The windows 7 build runs way better in that since.  Second thing that is happening now is  AdobeFlashUpdateService crashes now and i get "X550 card did not initialize" but the client computers are up.  I up'd the virtual memory on the XP build to the 10Gb at this time and rebooted.  Still got the same errors and now the host computer was SLOW as well.

This is driving me nut

So I went to another one of our schools and found the motherboard make and spec of our system that works great there and came back to the office.  Found a machine we had as a backup that had the same mobo and specs as the machine that works great.

Updated windows, adobe apps, quicktime, java, Microsoft SE, and installed one of our new x550 cards (same batch as we have been using at the non working school) and I get the same exact errors and it is SLOW too

At this point im ready to dump virtuals and never try again

Occasional Contributor
ragingangel

update (win7 64bit, 4 gig ram, 50-gb hdd, latest driver/software)

30min audio froze on audio (host and clients) using local program Reading Rediness

I looked in the even log and found the following error at 11:04 on Ncomputing Vspace in event viewer this is the time the audio quit working. 

=============================================================================

Log Name:      NComputing vSpace Source:        ncpc Date:          8/3/2012 11:04:43 AM Event ID:      8207 Task Category: None Level:         Error Keywords:      Classic User:          N/A Computer:      APS1 Description: The description for Event ID 8207 from source ncpc cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Event Xml: <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">   <System>     <Provider Name="ncpc" />     <EventID Qualifiers="49410">8207</EventID>     <Level>2</Level>     <Task>0</Task>     <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>     <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-08-03T17:04:43.000000000Z" />     <EventRecordID>967</EventRecordID>     <Channel>NComputing vSpace</Channel>     <Computer>APS1</Computer>     <Security />   </System>   <EventData>     <Data>10254095</Data>   </EventData> </Event>

=====================================================================================

Occasional Contributor
ragingangel

[ Edited ]

After no answer and pulling my hair out we dumped the windows 7 system and went back to XP..  Seems to be working fine but slow.  Really disappointed that windows 7 didnt work.

So here we are now with the decision on elementary classrooms.  Virtuals or not?

So we decide to do a test room..

AMD Quad core 3.6Ghz

4 Gb ddr3

win 7 pro 64-bit

vspace 6.2.6.1

Computer host runs fine.... clients run fine until you click on IE...... IE crashes when opening (start page is MSN), have not tested audio dropping yet.

As if now it looks like either another downgrade to xp to do the virtuals or stop using them.  This is crazy something has to give on this. 

We have another lab at the junior high running win 7 with the x550 and it works great.  They don't use audio at the junior high so I dont know if flash is an issue with the older version of vspace which it is running.  This however tells me that the vspace software is somehow the issue with the crashing and possible the audio dropping at the kindergarten.

Frequent Contributor
MattA

ragingangel - sorry that we have not been interacting on here with you.  Thanks for the posts and keeping us apprised of your progress.  May I ask, what IE version are you using now on XP?  In fact would you like us to help you with Win7 or XP?  I would think you want to ultimately go to Win7 so that might be worth trying to troubleshoot further.  Let me know.